SynWrite is a free source code editor. The idea behind SynWrite is the combination of great ideas of well known editors into a single, freely available product.
It is a complete environment for web workers, coders and writers and offers extensive support for its users.
One aim of SynWrite is simple extension. Therefore, it supports plugins written in Python language. Beside that, you find basic available tools like macro recorder, code highlighting, code folding, regular expressions, that can be used standalone or combined for fast and reliable editing.
Based on the powerful EControl Syntax Editor SDK
SynWrite adds a wide set of features and is a tool for nearly every editing task.
You can easily configure SynWrite to your needs and if necessary, you may carry your edit tool on an USB stick like a Swiss army knife for writing code.
See detailed feature list below for a quick overview of its capabilities or give it a try. It's free!
Because SynWrite is open source, any support of the project is welcome.
- Syntax highlighting for lots of languages (see list)
- Fully customizable highlightings
- Code folding
- Support for almost all encodings
- Multiple carets (see animation)
- Multiple selections (see animation)
- Tree structure view for source code
- File explorer
- Project management
- FTP/SFTP client
- Document mini-map
- Clipboard history
- External tools output
- Search results
- Text clips
- Tabs list
- Coding helpers:
- Auto-completion (for few lexers, see help topic)
- Auto-closing of tags/brackets
- Code templates
- SmartTagTabbing feature (see animation)
- SyncEditing feature to edit identical identifiers (see animation)
- Emmet (Zen Coding) support (HTML + CSS + XSL high speed coding engine)
- Color preview
- Color picker
- Images preview
- Inserting of image tag
- Inserting of date/time stamp
- Portable bookmarks
- Column markers
- Search, replace with regular expressions
- Search, replace in multiple files
- External tools support (capture of console output, navigation to error lines)
- Support for Python-based plugins
- Support for binary plugins (e.g. Explorer panel and FTP client are plugins)
- Regex-based strings extraction feature
- Customizable hotkeys
- Keyboard macros
- Spell checker
- File sessions
- Plugin for file manager "Total Commander"
- Multilingual interface: German, French, Russian, Spanish, Italian, Japanese, Chinese, etc
- Integrated HTML Tidy library
- Export to RTF/HTML with syntax highlighting
- Portable mode
- and more...